PC2 You Decide — A Five-Step Approach to the Personal Choice Interview, Risk Assessment, and Patient Education
PC2 You Decide is designed to guide providers in helping women choose a new contraceptive method and address concerns that their patients might have about the cardiovascular risks associated with combined hormonal contraception.
The five steps of PC2 You Decide entail:
- Patient concerns — Focus on the woman’s agenda for her visit.
- Choices — Find out what options are acceptable to her.
- Personal profile — Collect and interpret facts that may influence the suitability of her preferences (lifestyle, personal factors, health history).
- Considerations — Discuss benefits, side effects, and risks of her preferred method(s).
- You Decide — Partner with her in making the final decision. Give her supporting information and the contact information she needs for Q & A and follow-up care.
Download a PDF example of PC2 You Decide.
The example below focuses on pregnancy prevention, combined hormonal contraception, and cardiovascular risks, but any other subject — obesity, mental health problems, etc. — could be addressed with this approach. Like SOAP notes, the PC2 You Decide approach can be used intuitively by providers to guide them through comprehensive discussions with their patients in a timely manner.
|PC2 You Decide Pregnancy Prevention, Combined Hormonal Contraception (CHC), and Cardiovascular Risk|
|Five-Step Approach to Interviewing and Patient Education||Guiding Discussion for Contraception||Cardiovascular
|Step 1 (subjective)|
||Patient History Form
(Patient should complete before the patient/provider interview)
|Step 2 (subjective)|
||Contraceptive Efficacy Tools|
|Step 3 (subjective and some objective)|
Factors that contribute to contraceptive choices and successful use (Provider reviews the
completed Self-Administered Patient History Form as a guide for the discussion.)
|Step 4 (assessment)|
Questions & Answers
||CV Conditions Precluding Use of CHC
|Step 5 (plan)|
S–Severe Leg Pains