Date Posted: 11/8/2011
Organization: Groundswell Fund
Location: Oakland, CA
Application Deadline: December 1, 2011
Salary: Annual salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package.
Description of Organization:
The Program Officer is responsible for supporting Groundswell’s three funds: the Catalyst Fund: Resources for Women of Color in Reproductive Justice, the Reproductive Justice Fund, and the Community Midwifery Fund. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Program Officer contributes to the design and implementation of grantmaking, technical assistance, evaluation, communications, and fundraising programs. The Program Officer advances strategic grantmaking that maximizes the impact of donor giving on constituency/base building and movement building to effectively accelerate policy and systems change. The Program Officer plays a leadership role in the field of philanthropy by generating increased visibility and resources for reproductive justice.
- Stay abreast of trends in philanthropy, reproductive justice, and related social justice movements.
- Identify priorities, gaps, and opportunities to strengthen strategic grantmaking.
- Conduct research on key issues and policies and communicate findings.
- Conduct thorough assessment of grant applicants, including comprehensive proposal review and site visits.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate the progress and impact of grantees.
- Provide individual and institutional donors with timely updates and briefings.
- Prepare docket write ups and present grant recommendations at meetings of donors and stakeholders.
- Serve as an effective public spokesperson for Groundswell and raise the visibility of reproductive justice by writing and speaking in diverse forums.
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with funder colleagues, individual donors, grantees, and other key partners.
- Contribute to the implementation of technical assistance and evaluation programs for grantees, including coordinating logistics for grantee meetings and convenings and managing consultant contracts.
- Participate in strategic planning and the development of key programs and activities.
- Cultivate new funder and donor relationships and identify and leverage new resources for reproductive justice organizations.
- Experience working in social justice movements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively via phone and email, and to serve as a public spokesperson for Groundswell
- Fundraising experience.
- Demonstrated ability to research an issue area and effectively communicate findings.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in strategic and analytical thinking and planning.
- Experience moving a project from conceptualization to completion.
- Experience coordinating the planning and logistics for meetings and convenings.
- Experience working as an effective member of a team.
- Good computer skills, including familiarity with MS Office and database systems.
- Willingness to travel.
- At least ten years of experience working in social justice movements.
- At least three years of experience in funder, labor, community, political or faith-based organizing.
- Strategic communications experience.
- Grantmaking experience, and/or development experience, including grantwriting and working effectively with individual, institutional, and/or corporate donors.
- Evaluation experience.
Please send resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references to Vanessa Daniel at: email@example.com.