Date Posted: 6/5/2012
Organization: Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Description of Organization:
Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan (PPMSM), with administrative offices in Ann Arbor, MI provides quality healthcare to over 70,000 patients in a service area that encompasses 31 counties, 17 health centers, and 83% of the state’s population. Our 17 health centers are located in Ann Arbor (2 centers), Benton Harbor, Battle Creek, Brighton, Detroit, Ferndale, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Livonia, Warren, Ypsilanti, Flint, Burton, Owosso, and Saginaw.
The Medical Director is responsible to the President/CEO for directing the affiliate medical program and for developing and implementing affiliate medical protocols that are consistent with Title X, PPFA Medical Standards and generally recognized standards of care. It also includes an adjunct faculty appointment with Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan Health System.
1. Medical Oversight
- Advise the Planned Parenthood of Mid and South MI (PPMSM) senior management team and Board of Directors regarding matters of a clinical nature.
- Provide medical consultation to clinicians regarding the clinical management of specific patients.
- Establish contact relationships with other health care providers and agencies.
- Act as organizational lead in development and oversight of clinical training programs with teaching institutions (especially the University of Michigan) for fellowship, residency, preceptorships, etc.
- Participate in ongoing clinician in-service training.
- Regularly participate in the delivery of PPMSM clinical services.
2. Program Direction and Development
- As an integral part of the PPMSM management team, participate in the organization, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of PPMSM programs.
- Direct and supervise the medical aspects of affiliate programs, e.g., outpatient surgical services, contraceptive, infectious conditions, midwife, colposcopy, and male services.
- Work closely with the Director of Quality Improvement and the Directors of Patient Services to ensure high quality medical care and compliance with all state, federal, OSHA, CLIA, PPFA standards, and other regulatory body guidelines and regulations.
- Work closely with Director of Quality Improvement to ensure compliance of all risk management and quality assurance programs and reporting for patients and staff.
- Act as a resource for the Director of Development in researching and writing clinical services related grants.
- Attend Title X meetings as needed.
- Work with the Vice President of Medical Business Development, to develop relationships and business partnerships with managed care organizations, third party payers and other health care providers.
- In consultation with the VP of Medical Business Development and other staff, participate in the recruiting, selecting, releasing, and training of qualified clinicians.
- Consult with VP of Medical Business Development and other staff regarding the selection or release of other key patient contact personnel.
- Functionally supervise physicians in PPMSM health centers.
- Assume legal responsibility for ordering and distribution of drugs and devices in compliance with state and federal laws.
- Formally and informally, participate in the training and professional education of staff and other health workers.
- Participate in the development of a list of consultants who are willing to care for patients referred from PPMSM.
- Attend an Association of Reproductive Health Care Professionals or a PPFA conference annually.
- Lead, develop, direct and implement clinical and non-clinical activities that impact health care quality cost and outcomes.
- Review manuals for all departments to ensure medical accuracy and liability aspects.
- Work with PPFA accreditation to develop and refine processes and policies.
- Act as a representative and liaison for clinical services to the PPMSM Board of Directors.
4. Public Relations
- Interpret PPMSM programs to the medical community.
- In conjunction with the VPs of Medical Business Development and Development, confer with the news media regarding medical issues relative to PPMSM and health care.
- Prepare and deliver speeches or presentations, upon request, to civic, educational and other interested community groups on matters related to health care and PPMSM.
- Act as Principle Investigator and supervise research programs as approved by the PPMSM Board of Directors, and PPFA.
- Must have a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an approved college of Medicine/Osteopathy
- Must be board certified Obstetrics and Gynecology physician
- Must be eligible for an active Michigan Medical License
- Must have physician and practice management experience with respect to professional development, productivity monitoring, quality improvement, and process standardization
- Preferably has at least two years medical practice management experience in a private practice setting
- Must be comfortable working in a large multi site environment
- Demonstrated success in positive provider engagement and data-sharing activities to improve quality and efficiency.
- Interactive style of leadership that models enthusiasm, commitment to quality, sound decision-making and effective resource utilization.
- Ability to initiate and manage change to improve quality of service, productivity, and staff satisfaction.
- Ability to work collaboratively across disciplines, functions, levels, and departmental or organizational boundaries toward shared objectives.
- Ability to achieve mutual agreement on or acceptance of a course of action from individuals with real or perceived conflicting interest.
- Strong analytical, communication, and presentation skills.
Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan In addition to competitive salaries, offers outstanding health and welfare benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 403B and a Section 125 Cafeteria Plan. PPMSM also offers paid-time off to full and part-time benefit eligible employees.
Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PPMSM is a drug-free workplace employer and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Please apply on line at our website http://www.plannedparenthood.org/midsouthmi/