Family planning/reproductive health manager*
Date Posted: 6/18/2012
Organization: Population Services International
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Description of Organization:
PSI is a leading global health organization with programs targeting malaria, child survival, HIV and reproductive health. Working in partnership within the public and private sectors, and harnessing the power of the markets, PSI provides life-saving products, clinical services and behavior change communications that empower the world's most vulnerable populations to lead healthier lives.
PSI's core values are a belief in markets and market mechanisms to contribute to sustained improvements in the lives of the poor; results and a strong focus on measurement; speed and efficiency with a predisposition to action and an aversion to bureaucracy; decentralization and empowering our staff at the local level; and a long term commitment to the people we serve. PSI has programs in 67 countries. For more information, please visit www.psi.org.
PSI seeks candidates for Family Planning/Reproductive Health Manager to increase Reproductive Health/Child Spacing programs and services as part of PSI’s global mission. This individual will provide strategic direction to Society for Family Health (SFH), PSI’s long standing partner in Nigeria, in the implementation of reproductive health, child spacing and post abortion care interventions in Nigeria. The interventions will contribute to the reduction of Maternal Morbidity and Mortality rates in Nigeria through promotion and provision of modern contraceptive products and services among men and women in the active reproductive age groups and health care providers. This will be achieved through the coordination of programs and activities for family planning, the reproductive health divisional staff, and other key stake holders in the industry. The Family Planning/Reproductive Health Manager will also be responsible for the development and implementation of post abortion care (PAC) prevention program and technical support to strengthen the franchise of SFH to provide quality integrated services. This full-time position is based in Abuja, Nigeria, and reports to SFH’s Chief Technical Officer with dotted line to PSI’s West and Central Africa Regional Director.
- Provide policy and strategic direction for the Child Spacing and Reproductive Health Division through the planning and design of a coherent framework which links the programs and activities for efficient and effective delivery;
- Lead the development and management of annual budget for Family Planning/Reproductive Health program activities for improved contract planning.
- Coordinate and manage the activities and schedules of the division towards leveraging the health interventions of other divisions within SFH and other key players in Nigeria for providing quality reproductive health/child spacing products and services
- Ensure the development and implementation of an overarching annual marketing plan based on program indicators as agreed with donors and set MBO targets for the organization;
- Contribute to the review and revision of Society for Family Health’s sales policies and targets including detailing strategy. Provide support towards the realization of the set objectives;
- Lead in the development, implementation and promotion of franchise health facilities aimed at expanding quality service delivery provision;
- Coordinate the collation of data, analysis of feedbacks and development of reports, work plans and budgets either monthly, quarterly or annually, with consideration to project deliverables, operating plan indicators and the performance Monitoring Plans (PMP) working with SFH, PSI and Donors;
- Ensure the Child Spacing division’s participation in major conferences of professional bodies such as (PSN?, NMA, NANNM, PPMVs and NAFDAC) through making presentations, exhibitions, research findings to showcase SFH’s health Franchise, health products & services to the health sector.
- Coordinate the development, production, and distribution of relevant materials used to motivate the trade, providers and individuals within the reproductive age group in promoting, providing and adopting modern reproductive health/child spacing products and services in Nigeria;
- Work with the HR unit to establish measures and standards of assessment for staff (within Reproductive Health/Child Spacing division) jobs. Responsible for motivating staff towards achieving excellence through mentoring, on the job training, and technical support on new emerging opportunities to meet project objectives and to meet future organizational goals.
- Manage program staff performance, including routine feedback, regular supportive supervision, performance appraisals and capacity building
- Conduct appropriate information sharing, dissemination, coordination and communication on project updates, innovations and achievements between SFH, PSI and Donor.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of organizational strategic plan, and participate actively in the PSI/SFH management meetings
- Masters degree in medical or health sciences or equivalent experience
- 10+ years International Health and Development experience, with at least 5 in the senior management cadre of a Family Planning/Reproductive Health program;
- Familiarity of international donor policies and regulations;
- Knowledge of modern family planning methods;
- Experience developing and managing health franchise services;
- Experience in leadership and general managerial potential; and
- Knowledge of projects management and budgets management.
- Highly organized, comfortable working on multiple simultaneous projects; great at meeting deadlines
- Excellent verbal skills, writing and interpersonal communication.
- Sound knowledge of health programs in Africa, preferably in Nigeria.
The successful candidate will have strong communication and presentation skills; the ability to coordinate multiple roles and responsibilities; and leadership, management, and mentoring skills. This individual will have a high level of integrity, interpersonal, and networking skills in addition to field program implementation skills such as advocacy and facilitation skills.
* Contingent upon funding.
APPLY ONLINE at http://www.psi.org. No calls or emails, please.