Date Posted: 7/30/2012
Location: Washington, DC
Salary: Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Description of Organization:
Appleseed is a nonprofit network of public interest justice centers around the U.S. and Mexico, dedicated to building a society in which opportunities are genuine, access to the law is universal and equal, and government advances the public interest. Appleseed and Appleseed Centers bring together volunteers from the law, business and academic professions to devise long-term solutions to problems affecting the underprivileged and underrepresented in such areas as education, financial access, immigration and Gulf Coast Recovery. For more information visit: www.appleseednetwork.org.
Appleseed is seeking a dynamic, creative, and organized Development Director who is interested in helping a mission-driven nonprofit expand from being a $2m/year operation to raising in the $5m range over the next few years. This position reports to the Executive Director and Operations Director and is expected to work closely with a committed and energetic staff, Board of Directors, and Appleseed Center personnel from around the U.S. and Mexico. The Development Director will be responsible for planning, directing and coordinating all fundraising activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Development and Implementation of Fundraising Plan
- Create, manage, implement and evaluate annual fundraising plan consistent with the five year strategic plan.
- Work with Board of Directors, Executive Director and Development Committee to plan and implement fundraising initiatives, focusing on higher dollar gifts from individuals, law firms and corporations, through events and major donor solicitations, as well as foundation giving, planned gifts, and cy pres awards. Currently, some but lesser reliance on internet fundraising and mailings.
- Direct and participate in research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors and ensure that the time of the Executive Director is used effectively on fundraising.
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator and Executive Director to inspire our large cadre of skills-based volunteers to become donors.
- Retain current donors and expand donor base to fuel the expansion of the organization, in line with strategic plan.
- Draft letters of interest, concept papers and proposals to ensure a high quality, readable and consistent voice that reflects our core values: providing genuine opportunity and justice for all, through skills-based civic engagement, nonpartisan research and effective advocacy.
- Maintain understanding of fundraising issues and how they may affect and provide fundraising opportunities for Appleseed. Monitor philanthropic trends as they relate to Appleseed’s work, communicate these to affected staff and suggest program and fundraising modifications as appropriate.
- Collaborate with other Development and Communications staff to create materials, including talking points and briefings. Work with program staff to understand and communicate effectively about the range of Appleseed projects and accomplishments, both of the headquarters office as well as key Center projects, to fund collaborative projects among Appleseed Centers.
- Track existing and potential commitments, as well as all grant reporting requirements; work with grants manager to meet reporting requirements of funders and conduct follow up to ensure all pledges are fulfilled in a timely manner. Work with Controller and Operations Director to ensure accuracy of receivables and correct coding and credit of donations.
- Provide technical advice and consultations to development officers throughout the Appleseed network. Find “best practices” in the network or among other similarly-situated nonprofits and disseminate them throughout the Appleseed network.
- Support and help guide the work of the 20th anniversary (2013) planning committee, and play a leadership role in implementing tasks associated with the 20th anniversary plan.
Administrative Tasks in Support of Fundraising
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Operations Director on budget planning, the identification of Appleseed budgetary needs and the implementation of the fundraising strategy to meet those needs.
- Maintain donor database information in Donor Perfect and comprehensive donor profiles documenting correspondence with donors, meeting notes, proposals and background information.
- Coordinate fundraising events and oversee the logistics and fundraising of them. Currently, we have three major events per year, in DC, New York, and Chicago. Secure event sponsors, co-chairs, honorees, and speakers. Analyze event fundraising and make suggestions for keeping events fresh and helping them grow.
- Manage and ensure accuracy with fundraising systems, databases and reporting. This includes: writing department reports for all board meetings, generating financial queries and reports to analyze fundraising strategies and coordinating with the Controller and Operations Director to ensure accurate accounting.
- Oversee production of all fundraising materials, including appeal and thank you letters.
- Supervise development department staff (currently, full-time Event Planner, Grants Manager, and part-time Development Associate).
- Experience in fundraising required, with demonstrated success in raising major gifts and writing complex proposals for various audiences, including foundations. Experience in a nonprofit organization preferred; better still is experience with fundraising for a justice-based nonprofit.
- Excellent leadership, management and decision-making skills.
- Ability to develop fundraising budgets and prepare financial reports.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word and comfort with Excel. Familiarity with Donor Perfect strongly preferred or work with donor databases a must. Basic graphic design a plus.
- Strong commitment to social justice issues;
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Strong writing, oral communications skills, leadership, initiative, persistence, multi-tasking ability, spirit of teamwork, and a positive attitude are required.
- The successful candidate should be eager to be an inspiring mentor and colleague to development staff and staff of Centers in the US and Mexico seeking to expand their capacity for research and advocacy on justice issues.
- The successful candidate will be able to help motivate Appleseed's prominent board to help build the roster of supporters and expand our fundraising to match our ambitious program agenda.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to Luis Gomez via email at email@example.com Résumés will be reviewed as they are received. The position will be open until it is filled. No phone calls please.
Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, physical disability, mental disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national or ethnic origin, genetic information or any other protected status.