Date Posted: 7/30/2012
Organization: Mobile Alliance for Maternal Action (MAMA)
Salary: August 3, 2012
Mobile Alliance for Maternal Action (MAMA) seeks a Communications Officer to join its growing global staff. MAMA engages an innovative global community to deliver vital health information through mobile phones to new and expectant mothers. Launched by Secretary Hillary Clinton on Mothers' Day 2011, MAMA is making a three-year, $10 million investment in three initial focus countries (Bangladesh, India and South Africa), and through its global learning agenda. The mHealth Alliance serves as the partnership secretariat for MAMA. MAMA is a public-private partnership with USAID, Johnson & Johnson, the mHealth Alliance, the United Nations Foundation and Baby Center. The mHealth Alliance serves as the secretariat for MAMA. More information can be found at: www.mobilemamaalliance.org
The Communications Officer will develop and lead all communications activities for MAMA Global. This individual will create and implement a global communications action plan that supports MAMA’s mission and goals. The Officer will be responsible for communications products and services, both printed and online. This individual will serve as a thought partner who will work to create powerful and consistent messaging externally and internally. This is a newly created position, and the Communications Officer will be the only employee solely dedicated to these tasks.
The Communications Officer position will be hired through the USAID-funded Maternal and Child Health Integrated Program (www.mchip.net), in support of MAMA. As a core member of MAMA’s small staff, the Officer will be a dedicated advocate for MAMA activities and be responsible for a range of tasks associated with communicating and promoting its mission. The Communications Officer will be responsible for the management of the MAMA brand, as well as ongoing communications efforts around activities, press outreach, marketing materials, and high-level events (online and print). The Officer will lead the Communications committee (consisting of a representative from each MAMA partner institution). The Officer must be a big picture thinker and a team player. Working closely with the mHealth Alliance Community Manager, this individual will also be closely involved in facilitating, creating, and marketing MAMA information exchange through HUB and grow MAMA’s stakeholder community.
This intellectually challenging position requires a professional who is able to listen critically and think and act creatively, strategically and nimbly. The individual must have a successful track record translating strategic thinking into action plans and output. The individual must be comfortable and interested in carrying out both strategic and tactical implementation activities. The successful candidate should be a skillful and creative researcher and storyteller, with experience addressing different audiences across multiple medium and platforms.
The Communications Officer will report to the MAMA Global Director and members of the Public Affairs team. Given the small size of the team, we anticipate that s/he will interact frequently with the Partnership Secretariat, MAMA management team, and Communications representatives from USAID, J&J, UN Foundation, mHealth Alliance, and BabyCenter.
This position will be a contract position with MCHIP for one-year, with possibility of extension.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and support partner-wide communication needs, clarifying and conveying MAMA’s internal and externally messaging
- Lead MAMA partnership communications committee and shape agenda to meet annual targets
- Serve as point of contact for MAMA global with focus country partners in Bangladesh, South Africa, and India. Strengthen relationship and engage with communications representatives in MAMA countries.
- Conduct research and prepare briefing packages for Director, draft and place thought pieces, op-eds, talking points, and blogs
- Support Global Director in development of presentations, talking points, etc. for events and funder meetings.
- Collaborate with mHealth Alliance Community Manager and online team to create emails, web pages, and social media content. Look for opportunities to promote MAMA through various online channels. Implement online strategy throughout all digital mediums. Create an online measurement strategy to track growth, engagement and opportunities to build out MAMA’s online presence. Maintain relationships with partners, grantees, and partners
- Collaborate with Director and MAMA Communications Partner representatives on public relations efforts by creating, proofing, and editing press releases, advocacy materials, written correspondence, speeches, talking points, annual reports, and any other related materials.
- Handle all press communication and coordination in conjunction with Partnership Secretariat and MAMA Director
- Manage communications around key MAMA and related events (3-4 per year)
- Manage outside communications and branding consultants, including writers, designers, and researchers (if and as needed);
- Conduct research and prepare briefing packages and fact sheets for outside audiences
- Obtain necessary approvals for any materials to be released on behalf of MAMA and MAMA Partners
- Manage overall maintenance of website content, ensuring consistency and accuracy; and curate rotating photos.
- Pitch and conduct outreach to media outlets, including both traditional and new media, and to potential high-profile messengers and champions
- Represent MAMA at events and coordinate meetings with external partners, as requested
- Bachelor's degree in international affairs, public policy, journalism, public health, or communications, plus at least 3-5 years of relevant experience. Experience in marketing or communications a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, and oral communications skills.
- A keen sense of what makes and shapes the news, and the ability to make well-informed decisions in targeting appropriate media outlets and reporters.
- A strong knowledge in digital media, with a finger on the pulse of the newest social platforms.
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Ability to multitask in a very fast-paced, often rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to manage partnership relationships with diplomacy, seeking win-win solutions. A demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of constituents is a must.
- Stress tolerance and resilience; sense of humor; highly organized; attention to detail; and ability to work under pressure with multiple and shifting priorities.
- Grace under pressure.
- Basic knowledge of Media-contact software such as Vocus is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of website content management systems (CMS) such as Drupal is an asset.
Please include three writing samples:
One informal, such as a blog post or email alert
One that is marketing-oriented in tone and style, such as an editorial
One that is a longer-form narrative piece on a specific subject
Please submit CV and writing samples outlined above to email@example.com with “MAMA Communications Officer” listed in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications must be received by Friday August 3, 2012.